Follow Me on Pinterest Follow Me on Youtube Follow Me on Instagram Follow Me on Linkedin Australian Top 100 Blogs

Saturday 12 April 2014

Chemex 6 cup

Being a person that averages 4hrs - 6hrs of sleep a night, trying C Pap machines of other herbal remedies to sleep and nothing ever works. I think i got 6 hours last night so I don't feel to bad. Its going to be a long day as we are doing our first Cards Against Humanity Game night. I have a short attention span but that's probably from not enough sleep and too much coffee

 Anyway. I have decided to do my blog on the 6 cup Chemex
whats the difference between my filter equipment?
Aeropress - stronger extraction because it is a shorter time and if the beans are not good you can taste more bitterness. But stronger heavier coffee

Pour-over / V60 - Slower extraction so lighter flavors and more fruitiness

Clever Drip - holds off the coffee then pours all at once. don't use it but the wife likes it.

Chemex - Slowest of all the filters but my favorite as it is an art and i enjoy doing it.
Lightest and fruitiest flavors and no bitterness

 I Use 12grams per 250 mills of water and a total time of 5 minutes.
A decent long spout kettle helps with the pouring.
You slowly add water  until you have about 500ml at the 4 minute mark.and wait
I bought the chemex from William Sinoma for $36 (cheapest i could find) The 6 cup has a wider hole so it is better compared to the 3 cup which costs the same. the filters from Trader Joes i think. I bought the Aeropress from Bed Bath and Beyond as it was $26. I love America everything is so  Cheap. Australia is double the price or even triple. Crazy huh. Because we are having C.A.H I need to mow the lawn :(

So time to cut the grass and go to Costco HUHZAH :)
Since we have a very stressful week it will be nice to see some friends and chill out.
Will Blog Soon.
Kind e-gards
Dale 

3 comments :

  1. Nice review. I've tried a few of these. I used to use drip but now prefer a French press.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Us peasants only have a drip and a french press, but I am trying to con Kyle into getting us a Chemix or a pour-over. We are at the point of very rarely buying ground coffee at this point, so baby steps! CAH! We still need to obtain our own deck of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Dale! Good amount of detail on making filtered coffee and differentiating the different types and methods.
    Also, thanks for the demo today - it was awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete